Bloggystyle -- The Greatest: Music Review: The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity II

Saturday, December 25, 2004

 

Music Review: The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity II

Cam'ron's album "Come Home With Me" sold a surprising amount of records on the strength of a few singles. What he did next, propping up his boys, was much less surprising.

Those boys were Freaky Zeekey, Jim Jones and Juelz Santana, also known as The Diplomats. Put simply, anyone who liked Cam's style was bound to like The Diplomats, especially Juelz Santana. Those who bought Come Home With Me for something other than Oh Boy and Hey Ma were the fanbase for Diplomatic Immunity, the Diplomats' debut double album.

In addition to Cam's Purple Haze, Jim Jones of all people released a solo album. Juelz had his own last year. But The Diplomats just released their sophomore album, with the very surprising title of Diplomatic Immunity II. While all of this was going on, the Roc underwent some serious change with Dame Dash leaving, putting Jay Z at the top. Since Cam and Jay have never seen eye to eye, Dipset Records is bound to go elsewhere.

Stop-N-Go

Cam's been complaining about the lack of promotion his recent album Purple Haze got in terms of the push from his record label. For some reason it's weird to hear him promote Purple Haze on this intro and apologize for the push back of Purple Haze.

The first guy rapping on this track is J.R. Writer, which I can only assume is a somewhat clever nod to psychopath NBA baller Isaiah "J.R." Ryder. And wouldn't you know, this guy mimics Cam's unique rhyme scheme.

Cam himself drops Verse 3. For those who have heard Cam's 21st century stuff, his rhyme pattern is unmistakable. While most rappers focus on their flow, regardless of the complexity of their rhymes, Cam seems more interested in rhyming multiple syllables, often leading to choppy flows that change speeds. This can be a total hit or miss depending on the lyrics and the beat.

As for this track, the beat is nothing special for a Dipset track, and Cam's average.

S A N T A N A

On the other hand, this beat is a vintage Dipset beat, right up there with the beats for prominent Dipset tracks Get Em Girl, Dipset Anthem, and Santana's Town. Basically this is the type of track and beat Dipset fans like. So it's not too surprising that this track was a single.

Juelz Santana made his name on the singles from Come Home With Me at a fairly young age. Juelz copies Cam's style to the extent that he's practically a Cam MiniMe. With that said, he may possibly be more consistent with that style than Cam himself.

By multiplying the number of rhymed syllables, it's hard for a rapper to keep a verse's theme constant, let alone an entire song. For example, here are a few lyrics Santana drops on top of each other:
Bitch, I ain't her to wine ya, I ain't her to dine ya
I came her to pop ya, shit
And I came here for lobster
The whole damn shabang and they ain't brang the pasta
Now I got to be rude, they ain't got me my food
I'm not gonna be used, shots will eat through
The ironic thing is that Santana namedrops Pac a few times on the album (including this track), although Pac would sometimes forgo rhyming his verse at all to stay on message.

All in all, this track is pretty tight, although the little kid voice may get obnoxious after multiple listens.

Get Use To This

This track barely sounds like it's in CD quality. This beat reminds me of that Bravehearts track on God's Son, and if you never heard that one, I wouldn't exactly suggest that you drop what you're doing.

Our friend J.R. Writer is back to rap lyrics like "I started the starters and fathered the fathers who fathered. I slaughtered the slaughters and slaughtered the slaughters who slaughtered." Where did this guy get these rhymes? The short bus?

Meanwhile this J.R. Writer has dropped more verses than anybody else on this album. I never would have thought the sound of Jim Jones's voice would be welcome, but I have damn near reached that point.

Family Ties

This is track 4, and I think this is the 3rd hook that consists of Camron repeating the word Dipset. He's joined by some girl on the hook. She sucks.

This beat is ok. I actually got so bored during this track that I considered trying to figure out why this track was titled Family Ties. I hit forward within seconds.

Get From Round Me

Another problem with using Cam's style, as Juelz experienced in this track, is that if you can't rhyme something with "around me," you're bound to repeat Get From Round Me or end the line with "around me."

There's a random girl doing a few verses on this track. At the end of every line she draws out the last rhyme like a female Trick Daddy or something. That, or she just set the record for most orgasms experienced in 30 seconds.

I wanted to go ahead and write that this is one of the worst tracks on the album, except I've only listened to about 5 tracks and this one wasn't the worst.

Wouldn't You Like To Be A Gangsta Too?

Not if I talked or rapped like this.

Dutty Clap

You know an album's not exactly banging when you can see the words "featuring Jim Jones" after the song's title and actually anticipate an improvement in lyricism.

Well, if it's actually possible, Jim Jones disappoints. This song is unbelievably bad, even the beat.

A friend of mine once told me that one man's turd is another man's treasure. If that's true, then this album must be someone's Holy Grail.

I Wanna Be Your Lady

I was thinking this was a pretty damn weird name for a Diplomats track, for reasons like all of them are guys. Then I heard the sample. I've always wondered why people sample bad tracks for hooks and beats. This track compounds it by sampling both a bad beat and bad lyrics.

40 Cal

Some guy raps "I'm like Dr. Dre." I pray I'm not the first one to say no you are not.

Melalin

This track's production reminds me of a poor Kanye. Even worse, the flow on this track works about as well as a midget in a dunk contest.

It's actually a shame because this is the first song to have socially constructive lyrics. Just don't ask me what the hell Melalin is.

So Free

This is the second track to have this goon S.A.S. on it. He's like a pauper's Elephant Man. Any questions?

Dead

Cam's flow is totally off beat in this track. It sounds like Cam dropped an acapella and Marshall stopped by to do the production. Except he didn't.

This track could have been something if it had been a solo Juelz joint. I wonder how often something like that last sentence has been written.

Push It

Remember when Cam used to be Killa Cam, along with Murda Mase and Big L? Well I think it's time for the game to get someone to kill a Cam.

This track explains quite a bit, like why Cam wears pink. He's gone straight pussy.

Aayo-Iight

We've reached that point where this has gone from a terrible rap album to something that should be outlawed by the Geneva Convention.

Why make POWs do naked pyramids when you could make them listen to this stuff?

Bigger Picture

This track's not as bad as the last few. If the rest of the album is severely retarded, this track is merely Down's Syndrome.

Crunk Muzic

This beat is hot. So it only goes to figure that Cam comes lamer than ever before. Meanwhile, Juelz raps that he has been "labelled and known as a young Pac to the public." Who's the public? Helen Keller?

Thankfully I'm done with this review.

I guess I'll conclude this review by noting that I would rather wipe my ass with 15 dollars than spend it on this.

Comments:
yousa homo
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?