Bloggystyle -- The Greatest: The Greatest "Gangsta Rap" Album Ever

Saturday, March 12, 2005

 

The Greatest "Gangsta Rap" Album Ever


While thinking about the "Great(est) Debate" and even The Hive's review of Ready 2 Die (which was good for once!), I got to thinking about what the greatest gangsta rap album of all time is.

Before discussing it, I want to clarify that I believe the term "gangsta rap" is the most overrused term in the history of hip hop. Although the term is defined in the Rap Dictionary as a style evolving out West, its used commonly to refers t, you guessed it, rapping about being a gangsta/thug/criminal/bad boy telling stories about doing things (or bitches) in the hood.

Using this simple definition, it should be clear that some of the most notorious gangsta rappers are not gangsta rappers at all. Perhaps nobody's been called a gangsta rapper more than Tupac Shakur, but would anyone classify Me Against The World as gangsta rap? Pac rapped about so many things besides being a gangsta that he's about the last person I'd ever consider calling a gangsta rapper (besides Talib Kweli and Will Smith). Other "gangsta rappers" like Ice T, NWA etc. can be separated from that label because they were dealing frequently with politics.

To me, a gangsta rap album has to be entirely that theme, not 2 tracks out of 12. Very few of the renowned and recognized "gangsta rappers" have done this. The seminal rappers that immediately come to mind are Biggie, Mobb Deep and to a lesser extent the immortal Calvin Broadus. In my opinion, Ready 2 Die and The Infamous are the two best gangsta rap CDs of the 90s. Doggystyle is less serious and mostly party music.

So which one do I think is more gangsta? In terms of lyrics, Biggie's light years ahead and despite his death his lead has increased overtime as Prodigy continues to inch closer and closer to the funny farm.

But in terms of mood and production, I think The Infamous is the better album. Ready 2 Die has festive and introspective moments, with tailor made singles to sell. The most impressive gangsta rap is that which doesn't have to compromise its mood to sell. The Infamous is just plain raw from start to finish.

Partly because Fly reviewed Ready 2 Die already, and partly because I listen to The Infamous more, I've decided to compare each track number between the two albums.

The Start Of Your Ending (41st Side) vs. Things Done Changed

I love the opening track of The Infamous and it definitely sets the dark mood for what will be coming over the next 80 minutes. But it is most certainly not as good as Things Done Changed. Advantage: Biggie

Survival of the Fittest vs. Gimme The Loot

Biggie sorta goes against the grain in telling his tales about robbing. Usually his delivery is stable and methodic. Gimme the Loot is anything but. The beat for Survival of the Fittest, with the hard hitting piano loop, puts it over the top. In the first verse, P raps "You walkin witcha head down scared to look /
You shook, cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks." Somehow I think we'll be hearing more about that lyric later. Advantage: Mobb Deep

Eye For An Eye vs. Machine Gun Funk

Machine Gun Funk is one of my favorite beats on Ready 2 Die. I read somewhere that Biggie wanted to make it the first single, although I guess he didn't go wrong with Big Poppa. "I live for the funk. I die for the funk..." Eye For An Eye however has the beat to match and brings Raekwon and Nas, when the former was just hitting it with Wu and the latter was still Nasty. Thank those two for a major assist in making Eye For An Eye the better track. Advantage: Mobb Deep

Give Up The Goods vs. Warning

Rapper Noyd, or Big Noyd, makes his Infamous debut on Give Up The Goods and absolutely kills it.
Comin' straight outta QB
pushin' an Infiniti
you ask can I rip it constantly?
Mentally?
Definitely, to the death of me
come and test me
trust me, nigga couldn't touch me if he snuff me
so bust me, you're gonna have to, 'cause I'ma blast you
I'm lyrical like a miracle, ill spiritual
Yet again, the Mobb gets a major assist. On the other hand, Warning is an incredible track. The only problem I have is that a video had to be made of it. And in that video, Biggie's fat ass is loungin around in bed and we see the guy without a shirt. No homo. It reminds me of the scene in Kingpin where Woody takes that million dollar bet. Again, no homo. Anyway, I'm callin this one a wash. Tie

Temperature's Risin vs. Ready 2 Die

This is one of the few examples where the Mobb track is almost as impressive lyrically. Temperature's Risin is their best storytelling on the album about a friend trying to keep out of the clutches of the 5 0.
What up, black? Hold your head wherever you at
On the flow from the cops or wings on your backs
That snitch nigga gave police your location
We'll chop his body up in six degrees of separation
Killer listen, shit ain't the same without you at home
Phony niggas walk around tryin to be your clone
They really fear you, when you was at home you was pale
That's why they wanna see you either dead or in jail
By the time you hear this rhyme you probably be locked up
tried to hussle, where along the lines your plan slipped up
Got caught up in a crime that you can't take back
Reminisce on how I use to pick you up in the Ac
Years ago when we was younger seemed the hood took us under very deep
Wonderin who snitched and got me losin lots of sleep
at night, you know my mouth is tight
I never sang to the cops cos that shit ain't right
Sometimes I stroll past the scene of the crime and backtrack
Damn, why the situation go down like dat?
It'll be a long time before the heat dies down
In a couple of years, fool we'll see you around
But til then maintain and keep ya story the same
The cops is grabbin wrong niggas, lookin for someone to blame
They harrassin, strugglin to find the truth
Is it a chance ya case'll get thrown out cos they ain't got no proof
Ready 2 Die's title track isn't helped by the fact that the rest of the album is so good. Advantage: Mobb Deep

Up North Trip vs. One More Chance

After talking about a friend trying to escape the police, the Mobb's next track is about the pen. However, Up North Trip doesn't hold a candle to One More Chance, or the remix. Ironically, P samples the famous "When it comes to sex, I'm similar to the thriller in Manila" line on Hold You Down off the Alchemist's album. Biggie starts off the proceedings in style.
When it comes to sex, I'm similar to the thriller in Manila
Honeys call me Bigga the condom filler
Whether it's stiff tongue or stiff dick
Biggie squeeze it to make shit fit, now check this shit
I got the pack of Rough Riders in the back of the Pathfinder
You know the ep along by James Todd Smith
I get swift with the lyrical gift
Hit you with the dick, make your kidneys shift
Here we go, here we go, but I'm not Domino
I got the funk flow to make your drawers drop slow
So recognize the dick size in these Karl Kani jeans
I'm in thirteens, know what I mean
And the remix is legendary to top that off. Advantage: Biggie

Trife Life vs. The What

This time it's Biggie bringing over a Wu compatriot, Method Man. Meanwhile, Trife Life is one of the more blah efforts on The Infamous, although the premise of having a meeting arranged by a former fuckfriend leads to Trife Life 2 on Hell On Earth. Trife Life 2 is a considerably better track too. Advantage: Biggie

Q.U. Hectic vs. Juicy

This is the best matchup among corresponding tracks. Hectic is one of the best Mobb Deep tracks of all time, a solid second on this album, and it's extremely dark. P's first verse fits the beat perfectly.
I open my eyes to the streets where I was raised as a man
And learned to use my hands for protection
in scuffles, throw all my blows in doubles
I'm coming from Queens motherfucker carrying guns in couples
And wilding, a Q-U soldier
From Lefrak to Rockaway back to Queensbridge
Black it's only crack sales makin niggaz act like that
Back in the days we could scrap, now you lay on your back
As things changed with time I traded in my knuckles for a Mac-10
And rather live the life of crime
With my Bed-Stuy connection connected in two
It's liable to start shit too wild for you
Peace to, Baesley, Forty-P get down
And when you outta town represent your ground
Them niggaz bleed just like us so show em where we come from
Queens; leavin niggaz done Son
Juicy is one of Ready 2 Die's upbeat moments and one of the most famous rap tracks of all time. The two moods between these songs couldn't be more different. On equal footing though, you have to go with Juicy. Advantage: Biggie

Right Back At You vs. Everyday Struggle

After the best matchup comes the worst. Everyday Struggle is so much better than Right Back At You in every capacity that I can't imagine anyone arguing otherwise.

Biggie's first verse might be my favorite verse on the album.
I know how it feel to wake up fucked up
Pockets broke as hell, another rock to sell
People look at you like youse the user
Selling drugs to all the losers, mad buddha abuser
But they don't know about your stress-filled day
Baby on the way mad bills to pay
That's why you drink Tanqueray; so you can reminisce
and wish, you wasn't livin so devilish, ssshit
I remember I was just like you
Smokin blunts with my crew, flippin over 62's
Cause G-E-D, wasn't B-I-G
I got P-A-I-D, that's why my moms hate me
She was forced to kick me out, no doubt
Then I figured out licks went for twenty down South
Packed up my tools for my raw power move
Glock nineteen for casket and flower moves
for chumps tryin to stop my flow
And what they don't know will show on the autopsy
Went to see Papi, to cop me a brick
Asked for some consignment and he wasn't tryin to hear it
Smoking mad Newports cause I'm due in court
for an assault, that I caught, in Bridgeport, New York
Catch me if you can like the Gingerbread Man
You better have your gat in hand, cause man
Advantage: Biggie

Cradle 2 The Grave vs. Me And My Bitch

Cradle 2 The Grave is the last lull in the album. Me and My Bitch is another tight track in a long line of them that most everyone is familiar with. Advantage: Biggie

Drink Away The Pain vs. Big Poppa

Big Poppa obviously is the better party track. But it's also one of the least impressive lyrical exercises on the album and one of the least interesting too.

Meanwhile, Q Tip produces this jazzy melody and drops a nice verse. But P steals the show yet again.
I used to be in love with this bitch named E&J
Don't fuck with her anymore now I fuck with Tanqueray
Tanqueray introduced me to her first cousin Gold
Last name was Ide's and the first name Old
But Gold couldn't take the dick and made me lazy
We split apart and now I met this new trick Dany
Now me and Dany, we been together ever since
Our love combines to form a science, what is this
I bust a cherry, took her virginity in ninety-one
Now that she's open everybody want to tap somethin
Go get your own don't make me have to fuckin clap somethin
I love my shorty more than life now ain't that somethin
So love you Dany more than livin itself
Even though my friends tell me she ain't good for my health
When I go pick her up they tell me put her back on the shelf
They say say yo P she only wants you for one thing that's your wealth
But I don't pay attention, she's my baby, the Dany
You know she drive me crazy she's my number one lady
Met her back in eighty-nine now she's twenty-two
Actin like she forty, she said all I need is a man to support me
Besides, you from the 41st side of things
and Queensbridge niggaz be actin like they kings
Pushin Lexus' wearin fat diamond rings
My cellular phone reigns supreme, international think rational
The 12th street crew move back when we come through
Advantage: Mobb Deep.

Shook Ones Part II vs. Respect

Fly calls Respect the best beat on the album. But obviously it's farm league compared to Shook Ones II, which is probably the greatest gangsta rap track ever created. If you haven't heard Shook Ones II, escape your bubble. Yet again, P kills it.
I got you stuck off the realness, we be the infamous
you heard of us
official Queensbridge murderers
the Mobb comes equipped with warfare, beware
of my crime family who got nuff shots to share
for all of those who wanna profile and pose
rock you in your face, stab your brain wit' your nosebone
you all alone in these streets, cousin
every man for theirself in this land we be gunnin'
and keep them shook crews runnin'
like they supposed to
they come around but they never come close to
I can see it inside your face
you're in the wrong place
cowards like you just get they're whole body laced up
with bullet holes and such
speak the wrong words man and you will get touched
you can put your whole army against my team and
I guarantee you it'll be your very last time breathin'
your simple words just don't move me
you're minor, we're major
you all up in the game and don't deserve to be a player
don't make me have to call your name out
your crew is featherweight
my gunshots'll make you levitate
I'm only nineteen but my mind is old
and when the things get for real my warm heart turns cold
another nigga deceased, another story gets told
it ain't nothin' really
hey, yo dun spark the Phillie
so I can get my mind off these yellowbacked niggas
why they still alive I don't know, go figure
meanwhile back in Queens the realness is foundation
if I die I couldn't choose a better location
when the slugs penetrate you feel a burning sensation
getting closer to God in a tight situation
now, take these words home and think it through
or the next rhyme I write might be about you
What a track. Advantage: Mobb Deep

Party Over vs. Friend Of Mine

This is a relatively tough call, but I like Party Over better due to the strong production and the story about dunny on the run. Advantage: Mobb Deep

Party Over is the last Mobb track, whereas Biggie still has Unbelievable, a Primo beat with a fun Biggie flow, and Suicidal Thoughts, the half track half outro ending. Based on that scoring, I had one tie, 6 better Mobb tracks and 6 better Biggie tracks.

Regardless, those who appreciate gangsta rap are pining for the hardcore shit, while some of Ready 2 Die was marketed for mass appeal. Despite how incredible tracks like Juicy or Big Poppa are, the Mobb wasn't interested in that formula or the masses. That element is what puts The Infamous over the top as far as I'm concerned.


Comments:
>On equal footing though, you have to go with Juicy.

I don't know if anything could top juicy, good call.

I've never even heard "The Infamous", but I'll work on gettin it over the next few days. Maybe then i can argue
 
You absolutely need to listen to The Infamous if you're a rap fan.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?