Bloggystyle -- The Greatest: Two NCAA Pool Tips

Monday, March 14, 2005

 

Two NCAA Pool Tips


I've never been a huge fan of college basketball, and I only barely follow the hometown teams as is.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from blowing money every year making uneducated guesses in a pool league. As you could surmise, I've never won or come close to winning one, and I've been in a few large ones.

That doesn't mean I can't help people, because the fact is I have 2 guaranteed selections for people that can't go wrong. It all started back in the glory days of 1995.

I was a young'n back in those days but I was enamored with the mighty Villanova Wildcats (no homo). Led by star guard and sharpshooter, Kerry Kittles, Villanova had a great season in the Big East and earned themselves a 3 seed in the tournament. I decided that Kerry Kittles would lead Villanova throughout the tournament. Unfortunately, I didn't have 12 years of New Jersey Nets balling experience at the time when I made the pick. In I guess what could be considered a "classic" upset, Old Dominion beat the 3rd seeded Wildcats in triple overtime, fucking my bracket up beyond repair.

That didn't stop me from picking Villanova to do damage in subsequent years, with the likes of Kittles and Jason Maxiel. Hell, even Tim Thomas's tainted relationship with Villanova didn't stop me from constantly picking Nova. Thankfully for my pools lately, Villanova wasn't invited to dance.

Until this year. They are a 5 seed going up against New Mexico, a pretty good 12 seed. They would face Louisville in the 2nd round, which just so happens to be 4th...in the nation. What does this all mean? Well of course it means I'm picking Villanova to reach the Final 4. Which should be your cue to pick New Mexico in Round 1.

But I'm not done dispensing advice. I have another soft spot for the Mississippi State Bulldogs, ever since the days of Erick Dampier (no homo again). That year with Mount Dampier, the Bulldogs got to the Final 4 or something. And of course, since that year, I've picked the Bulldogs to get to at least the Elite 8 everytime they've been in the tournament. As you may have guessed, that was their cue to lose in the first round again and again. Mississippi State has been pretty damn good in previous years too, and yet they still lose guaranteed.

This year the Bulldogs are only a 9 seed. Which of course means I'm picking them to the Elite 8. Again, go against them in Round 1.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?