Bloggystyle -- The Greatest: The Top Southern Rappers of All Time

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

 

The Top Southern Rappers of All Time


My mainstay channel, MTV Jams, has been infested by the Dirty South for the past week or so, and I'm not sure why. Suffice it to say, it's really pissing me off. Take terrible rap tracks, screw them and chop them (no homo), and the results are mindboggling. Then imagine trying to keep the station on. Hell, they were chopping tracks from 96 that were clearly unchoppable (Scarface's Smile, for example)

Anyway, after the umpteenth Mike Jones commercial, this program counting down the Greatest 25 Southern rappers of all time came on. I just had to watch and recap.

I only caught it starting at #15. After naming the artist, they have some random rappers, or Lil Jon, say shit about the guy calling him an all time great etc. Then they play a video.

#15: T.I.

According to Uncle Luke, "If T.I. doesn't run out of lyrics in 5 years, he might be on the level of a...Pac or Jay-Z"

The video for "You Don't Know Me" then plays, completely refuting Uncle Luke.

#14: David Banner

All I heard was David Banner talking about his people's struggle in Mississippi. Then a video came on featuring Lil Flip and I changed the channel for 5 minutes.

#13: Ludacris

Lil Jon told me that Ludacris is superfly TNT. Ludacris says there's the cool, calm collected side of him and then there's the rowdy side. Frankly both of his sides are terrible, no homo.

#12 DJ Magic Mike

DJ Magic Mike is some old school shit. And believe it or not, a 22 year old white kid from Wisconsin didn't know anything about this guy. I missed the all important random comment about this guy, but at least he's not Lil Flip.

#11 Trick Daddy

"Trick Daddy played a significant role in the history of Southern Music." Thanks for that pearl of wisdom, Uncle Luke.

To display the greatness of Trick Daddy, they played the video for "Nan" featuring Trina. If you're not familiar with that track, you have a guardian angel. Let's just say the best thing about this track is it's about 2:30 long.

#10 Master P

*MAKE EM SAY UNHHHH* *NA NA NA NA* *HOOOOOODY HOOOOOO*

If we were talking quality over quantity, maybe No Limit should be on this list somewhere.

But to put Master P ahead of T.I.? It makes me wonder where Lil Jon is going to show up. Anyway, the video was Make Em Say Unh, which is 5 minutes of bad rap and watching Master P dunk on an 8 foot rim.

Only in the name of science am I continuing...

#9 Juvenile

It must have been that rhyme scheme from Back That Ass Up. If this was a "Ugliest Southern Rappers of All Time" list, this pick would make sense. No homo all over that last sentence.

Actually, make that Back That Thing Up, which I'm now going to subject myself to because I'm too lazy to get up and change the remote.

#8 Lil Jon

*BIA BIA*

On the one hand I'm almost shocked he's not ranked higher. On the other, I think the only time I've heard this guy do a rap of any sort was on Play No Games.

If Lil Jon can make a list of Top rappers, would Kay Slay or Clue make the list on Top 25 East Coast? And as the Bia Bia video plays, I don't think I'll ever get over black guys rapping behind a Confederate flag.

#7 Three Six Mafia

After hearing a bunch of people talk about the wondrous career of the Three Six Mafia, the program was turned off by someone else in the house.

Thank God.

I'm pretty sure Scarface, Outkast and The Geto Boys were still coming. After that I'll have to take an educated guess of missing notables.

Paul Wall, Slim Thug, (Who?) MIKE JONES! MIKE JONES! MIKE JONES! MIKE JONES!


Comments:
Damn dude I want to hear the rest...How can trick daddy be ranked above anyone?
 
Damn dude I want to hear the rest...How can trick daddy be ranked above anyone?
 
MIKE JONES
 
in reference to southern rappers "99.9 percent of you _____ ain't shit, and most of you _____ suck dick"

southern rappers suck.
 
fitz, wheres the no homo's?

and johnny double-u: do you understand the concept of scarface being a member of the geto boys?

luda > than most southern rappers
the D.O.C. = the isht.
 
^ Yes. However, I would have sworn that when I saw an earlier taping of that episode, I caught the Geto Boys on there somewhere, and I don't think it was Top 6. As you and I discussed yesterday, we didn't think there was anyway Scarface wouldn't be in the Top 3.

Besides, plenty of guys in groups go solo, including Face. I'd think in a situation like that for the West Coast for example, Dre and NWA would probably both show up on a list.

As for DOC, totally agree, except again since he was doing his stuff with Ruthless, I'm not sure they would have counted him as Southern.
 
so what if he was in ruthless? the geto boys were signed to rick rubin's label? does that make them white and from new york?
 
oh and, this i think is obvious:

ice cube > dr. dre
 
I WISH ALL OF YA'LL MUTHAFUCKERS WOULD QUIT TRYING TO TALK SHIT ABOUT SOUTHERN RAPPERS!!! YEAH, THERE ARE SOME LEGENDS LIKE PAC,BIGGIE,DRE,ICE CUBE, AND PLENTY OF OTHERS, BUT THAT'S RAP IN GENERAL. SCARFACE IS ANOTHER LEGEND THAT NEEDS TO BE RECOGNIZED MORE. SINCE I'M FROM TEXAS (THE DIRTY SOUTH) I'M PROUD TO SAY THAT THERE ARE A SHIT LOAD OF RAPPERS OUT THERE DOING GOOD IN THE RAP GAME AND THEY ARE FROM THE SOUTH. DUMB ASS PEOPLE LIKE "NASTYNAUS" AND "FITZ" DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE SOUTHERN RAP GAME, BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR NIGGAZ LIKE SLIM THUG, CHAMILLIONAIRE, Z-RO, PAUL WALL, THE BOSS HOGG OUTLAWZ, THE COLOR CHANGIN' CLICK, AND MAGNIFICENT A.K.A MAGNO! THEY'RE GONNA KEEP REPPIN' THE SOUTH TO THE FULLEST JUST LIKE LIL' FLIP, SCARFACE, THE GETO BOYS, YOUNG BUCK, LUDACRIS, T.I., AND LIL' JON. THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER 3RD COAST RAPPERS OUT THERE DOING SOME BAD ASS SHIT...BUT THERE'S JUST TOO MANY FOR ME TO TALK ABOUT. SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE, QUIT TALKING SHIT ABOUT THE SOUTHERN RAPPERS, AND DON'T EVEN DARE TRY TO TALK ABOUT WHAT THE LATE, GREAT DJ SCREW AND MICHAEL "5000" WATTS PERFECTED (CHOPPING & SCREWING ALL DEM BAD ASS TRACKS)! SO ANYBODY TRYING TO TALK DOWN ON SOUTHERN RAPPERS GO AHEAD AND HOLLA AT YO BOY! OH YEAH, THE GETO BOYS WAS NUMBER 1 ON THAT TOP 25 GREATEST SOUTHERN RAPPERS ON MTV IDIOTS!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?