Bloggystyle -- The Greatest: Fantasy Football

Sunday, August 21, 2005

 

Fantasy Football


Admittedly, I'm not a big NFL fan and when I joined a fantasy football league consisting of various roomates/friends, it was only the second fantasy football league I had ever played in.

After last year's draft, I thought I had compiled a pretty good team consisting of Bulger/Ahman Green/Travis Henry in the backfield, with Torry Holt/Rod Smith/Jeremy Shockey as receivers/tight end and Baltimore's Defense.

In otherwords, my team was the ultimate underachiever.

Tomorrow is the fantasy football draft day and I have to make amends. I'll make it possible for everyone to laugh at me by posting what I believe is the Top 5 at each position.

Quarterbacks

When Bulger slid throughout last year's draft and everyone but me had picked a starting quarterback, I figured I had pulled a major coup (nhjic) to get Bulger in the middle rounds. I was wrong; meanwhile Peyton Manning all but carried a team to a Top 3 finish.

This year it's pretty plain from a fantasy perspective, and I realize that this position can be more important than running back.

1 - Peyton Manning
2 - Daunte Culpepper
3 - Don McNabb
4 - Brett Favre
5 - Trent Green

Like in real life, I'm sure Tom Brady will be severly overrated and will be one of the first 5 quarterbacks picked. But, no homo Juelz Santana, while Brady rides Bill Belichick to championships in real life, he leads fantasy football teams to the cellars.

Running Backs

Last year, Tomlinson and Holmes were the Top 2 picks. With #3, I took Ahman Green. In addition to being a Packer, no homo, Green had amassed about 2300 combined yards and double digit TDs in 2003. In 04, he amassed about 1600 combined yards and 8 touchdowns. That was good for about the 15th most fantasy points by a running back, barely finishing behind renowned running backs Warren Dung Dunn and Reuben Droughns.

1 - LaDanian Tomlinson
2 - Priest Holmes
3 - Shawn Alexander
4 - Tiki "Needs No Thunder" Barber
5 - Willis McGahee

Wide Receivers

If there's anything I'm certain about, it's that the two wide receivers who happen to provide the most tumultuous offseasons every year will come with it during the regular season, no homo.

I actually think Moss will rub it in the Vikings' face by having a ridiculously good year. And regardless of his theatrics, I figure Owens will put up his usual numbers.

1 - Randy Moss
2 - Terrell Owens
3 - Marv Harrison
4 - Javon Walker
5 - Chad Johnson

The 5 spot is a pretty tough call, but Mush Muhammad and Chad Hutchinson? Drew Bennett, last I checked, is still white. No Homo Juelz Santana, I don't trust Nate Burleson or Marcus Robinson.

Tight Ends

(No Homo)

Tony Gonzo is usually a consensus first pick as far as TEs are concerned, but I figured Shockey was a solid second last year. Then he had his worst year ever, Antonio Gates pretty much emerged from obscurity, and I had yet another underachiever lining up every Sunday.

1 - Tony Gonzalez
2 - Antonio Gates (who is signing the 1 year "tender" offer after all)
3 - Algae Crumpler
4 - Jason Witten
5 - Jeremy Shockey

What an ugly list, no homo.

Defenses

I was the first person to take a defense last year, making the obvious selection of Baltimore. That was my only "correct" pick of the entire draft, since Baltimore scored a bunch of defensive touchdowns, gave up relatively few points and had the likes of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

1 - Baltimore
2 - Pittsburgh
3 - Buffalo
4 - New England
5 - Philadelphia

Kickers

Somehow I ended up with John Carney last year, probably figuring the Saints would score a lot of points. I didn't know at the time that Aaron Brooks had a propensity for throwing the ball backwards and other various retardation issues. Meanwhile, I had David Akers throw a touchdown against me, Vinatieri and Elam make every kick and have Carney finish near last in everyday kickers.

1 - Akers
2 - Vinatieri
3 - Elam
4 - Longwell
5 - Vanderjagt

So there is my fantasy football mock board. If that wasn't funny enough, I'll update the site with my fantasy football roster shortly after the draft, since I'm pretty much going to wing it without preranking players.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?